As the Coronavirus outbreak leaves most of you tied to your homes without access to your usual gyms, workout studios, parks and your familiar jogging paths it is important to develop new home fitness routines to keep you fit and active. Many fitness experts, gyms, apps and studios are doing their part to help us establish a workout routine that could ease up your anxieties related to the current situation and help you stay in shape.
Switching to a home workout routine isn't easy, it takes space and a lot of motivation. Personally, I always feel much more motivated if I look the part! Here are some tips to choose the correct active wear for your new fitness goals!
Most people suggest that your workout clothes needs to be less about fashion and more about comfort and fit. But if you could find a perfect balance between fashion and comfort, it is likely to impact the success of the workout much more. Choose clothes that you find attractive, feeling good while exercising is the most important , otherwise you might be tempted to cut your workout short.
Choosing the Right Fabric :
The Fabric choices depends a lot on the type of workout that you are planning to do.
- For light workouts where less sweating is anticipated like Walking or Stretching, Natural fibres like Bamboo and Cotton being soft and comfortable work well. When Cotton becomes sweaty, it can feel heavy and cling to your body, so it would not work well for more intense or aerobic activities.
- For most type of intense workouts, choosing a synthetic fibre that will allow your skin to breathe while drawing the sweat away also called as wicking is desired. It keeps your body cool while you exercise. Synthetic fibres that are most used in activewear are Polyester, Nylon and Spandex.
Choosing the Right Activewear colours :
The colours you choose to wear can affect your workout on both a physical and psychological level.
- It’s important to be aware of how the colours you put on can affect how much light you absorb and your overall temperature during your exercise.
- If you tend to sweat more than most, black is probably not the best colour to wear while you run on a warmer day.
- Neutral tones are known for increasing a sense of calmness, making them a better fit for more precise fitness such as yoga.
Choosing the Right Fit :
Depending on your own body image and personal style, it is your choice to adopt the fit you feel most comfortable in.
Considering your location before you select your workout clothing is also equally important, what you choose to wear at the your most comfortable home fitness space will not be the same as what you want to wear when you exercise outdoor in a public setting.
- For most forms of exercise it is advisable to choose clothing that sticks to your body and doesn't move with you preventing any hinderance from achieving your goals.
- Stretch is a quality that most people look for while buying their workout clothing. Elasticated waists and 4 way stretchable fabric qualities helps you shape your flexibility and acknowledge your curves while working out.
- You can choose workout clothing that is loose, and covers most of your body or you might want to wear fitted outfits that allow you to see your muscles and curves as you exercise.
- Tailor your attire to the specific activity. If you are running or biking, do not wear long pants that might cause you to trip or get stuck in the pedals. For yoga and Pilates practitioners, avoid clothing that will not move with you during different poses.
- Layer your workout clothes during colder times, during fall and spring if you workout in the early mornings or late evenings. Wear items you can easily discard as your body temperature heats up during your workout.
Incorporate supportive undergarments into your workout wardrobe. Women should look for a good sports bra that offers support and flexibility.
Choosing the Right Footwear :
A comfortable athletic shoe that supports your feet and ankles while exercising is desired. Runners, tennis players and trainers will want to choose a workout shoe that protects their bodies and boosts performance.